Skip to main content

Welcome Everyone!

 Welcome everyone to my learning adventure!

September 11, 2022

My name is Rebecca Gobbi and I am currently in my fourth year of Concurrent Education at Brock University, and my teachable subjects are math and general science. I have always been interested about STEM related subjects, and I want to share that passion with others. STEM related subjects can become quite complex very quickly, and I hope to expand my knowledge on how to be an effective educator with these topics. I am always looking for new ways to make learning fun, and interactive. I believe that when an aspect of play is incorporated into teaching, it really makes a difference in the minds of the students. 

One thing I wish to learn more about is the metal blocks that students get when it comes to STEM subjects. I would like to know where they originate from, and how to help the students overcome them. I think that every person is capable of doing STEM subjects, and should be given the chance to see their capabilities. In the process of learning that, I hope to learn how to knock down the barriers of students thinking they are not smart just because STEM subjects do not come easy to them. I hope to show that everything can be learned, and whether a person can do something or not does not make them any less smart. 

Even as we grow older, we are still learning everyday. I think it is very important to keep that in mind. The title of my blog is learning adventure because I never want to stop learning, and I love going on adventures every chance I get. I also like to think of life as an adventure, and with every adventure there is always something to learn. 

So, this blog will be my outlet to share my findings and what I am learning on my adventure of being a prospective teacher as well as my life. I am going to reflect and challenge my own feelings and thoughts as I learn more because in order to grow as a person this needs to be done. I am going to keep an open mind and reflect on everything. 

Furthermore, in this blog, there will be my thoughts and feelings on education in STEM. I will also be actively challenging my own biases while I continue to learn. I also hope to analyze my learning with both a student perspective as well as an educator perspective. 

While I take this course I hope to learn how to best accommodate different types of learners in STEM. I hope to be able to learn how to show students that they are capable of doing STEM subjects even if it is not their strong suit. I also hope to be challenged on my view points, as this will help me to grow. I also hope to have an open line of communication with both my peers and the educators. I think we learn best as a collective group and not just individually. 

I hope that you come along on my adventure of learning, and I hope that you learn something about STEM education too!

156,809 Stem Illustrations & Clip Art - iStock

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 8 - reflection

The world of technology is growing and changing everyday, and it can seem like difficult to navigate. The 21st century is very dependent on technology of many different styles, and what are educators doing to prepare students to enter into a world of this magnitude of technology?  The Ontario curriculum has recently added coding and programming components stating at grade one. I was very surprised to hear that it was starting that young, but upon further research I noticed that it scaffolds programming in a logical way. The curriculum starts to introduce language and uses coding in an ‘unplugged’ manner. The unplugged side of coding, I think is very important as it builds the foundation of effective communication. The coding aspect gets very specific, and to communicate effectively instructions have to be given exactly, in order to get the desired result. If the user is not able to write these instructions correctly they will not be able to communicate to the computer what they desir

Week 2 - Reflection

 Hello readers,  I challenge you to think about what the definition of being good at something is? Society has created standards for being good at something. These skills include school, sports, music, painting and so much more.   There is also standards that each individual holds themselves to, to be considered good at something. There is also standards that each persons environment offers to them. The thing about being good at something is there are always standards, that we are constantly trying to reach.  As an educator, I think it is important to be able to help the students create their own definition of being good at something. In order to do this, they must be taught the skills necessary to do so. Some of these skills include creativity, problem solving, adaptability and many more. One important thing I think students need to learn to excel at a skill is to have the willingness to fail. This is something that is not taught, and not highlighted enough. There is such a negativity